Department of Veterinary Science and State Veterinary Inspectorate of Vologda Oblast
The regulations and organizational structure of the Department of Veterinary Science and State Veterinary Inspectorate of Vologda Oblast is approved by the Clause of the Department of Veterinary Science and State Veterinary Inspectorate of Vologda Oblast confirmed by the Vologda Oblast Government Decree N 250 dated as of 26.03.2012.
It functions on control and supervision in the field of veterinary science. The Department is responsible for protecting animal health and animal welfare. It protects agriculture from invasive pests and diseases. The head of the Department is Chief Veterinary Officer of the Vologda Oblast.
It establishes and lifts quarantine zones, controls the use of pesticides and agrochemicals, maintains soil fertility.
The Department aims to protect animals and the agricultural industry by offering:
- Protection from invasive non-native plants, animals, insects, and diseases;
- Monitoring and management of existing agricultural pests and diseases;
- Resolution and management of trade issues related to animal health;
- Prevention, detection, control, and eradication of diseases and pests of animals;
- Investigation, demonstrations and control of “injurious animal species”;
- Suppression of disease in livestock and prevention of epidemics.
According to the Clause of the Department, it safeguards the health of food-producing livestock, and poultry, and works to control and eradicate diseases that economically affect producers or pose a threat to humans.